Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Scarlet Pimpernel, 1999


Scarlet Pimpernel, 1999
Starring Richard E. Grant as Sir Percy Blakeney, Elizabeth McGovern as Marguerite Blakeney, Martin Shaw as Chauvelin, Christopher Fairbank as Fumier, Ronan Vibert as Robespierre, etc.

This was my first experience with The Scarlet Pimpernel. I'd never seen the other movie adaptations. I'd never read the novel. I didn't have high expectations nor low ones. I didn't know what to expect. I was hoping to be entertained. I wasn't particularly looking for a new obsession. But I was so thoroughly enchanted by Grant's performance as Sir Percy that I fell...and fast...for Sir Percy.

These three episodes which are available on DVD don't follow the book all that closely. Of course, I didn't know that for sure until I read the book for myself. But I had an inkling this one was taking liberties and doing whatever it wanted. Did I mind? No! Not then, and if I'm confessing, not now either. The story it was telling may not have come from the book, but it was exciting and fun and compelling.

I loved the atmosphere of this one. I loved the music especially. Even that is not doing it justice, I loved, loved, loved the movie. I loved Sir Percy. Head over heels loved Sir Percy.




and



I especially, especially loved the song at 3:40. And this next clip shows the French dance that goes with it. Though it's at the very end.

No comments:

Post a Comment