Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Three Musketeers, 1948


The Three Musketeers, 1948
Starring Gene Kelly as D'artagnan, Lana Turner as Lady de Winter, Van Heflin as Athos, Gig Young as Porthos, Robert Coote as Aramis, June Allyson as Constance, Vincent Price as Richelieu, Angela Lansbury as Queen Anne, Frank Morgan as King Louis XIII, etc.
125 minutes

I didn't know quite what to expect from this one. I wanted to really love it. But I was afraid that it would disappoint. You see, many film versions of The Three Musketeers end up disappointing or frustrating me. Maybe that's not the case for every viewer. Maybe I just love the book a little too much.

What did I think of this one? I loved it! I really, really loved it! I think it was great at capturing the tone of the book. And it was almost always faithful to the book. I'm not saying it was 100% faithful. (If memory serves, in the book Constance was the wife of the landlord and not the daughter of the landlord. But. For the most part, it follows the book.) It's silly. It's adventurous. It's got its serious moments, true, but at the heart this one is all spirited fun. Boys being boys, if you will.

Completely off topic, but don't you find the floating heads in the movie poster a bit disturbing???

Here's the trailer



Meeting Constance

No comments:

Post a Comment