Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Gay Divorcee (1934)

The Gay Divorcee ~ (1934)

Let's see, this one stars Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. I had *really* high hopes for this one. My *main* problem with this one is that it had very little plot, very little dialogue. I think you could honestly edit it down to about twenty minutes and have all of the story that matters. Is all the dancing irrelevant for every viewer? Maybe, maybe not. But a lot of the dancing was extra dancing. It didn't even feature all-that-much Rogers and Astaire. There were just dozens and dozens of couples dancing "The Continental" like we should have cared. On the one hand, there were a few scenes that worked for me. Dialogue that made me smile or giggle--in a good way, of course. On the other hand, as I said earlier, if you added all those *good* moments together, you'd have a very short film.

Favorite line(s): "Be feminine and sweet. If you can blend the two."
"You think I'm going to leave you alone with a strange Italian? He might be a tenor!"





No comments:

Post a Comment