Saturday, January 16, 2010

Mamma Mia (2008)


Mamma Mia (2008)

There are few movies I love more than this one. I do. Love it. Like crazy. It stars Amanda Seyfried, Dominic Cooper, Meryl Streep, Julie Waters, Christine Baranski, Pierce Brosnan, Stellan Skarsgard, Colin Firth, etc.

What do I love about this one? Just about everything. Almost everything. There are only a few slight things I'd change if I could. Thirty seconds here or there. But otherwise, about as perfect as perfect can be. Granted, I think loving musicals helps more than a little bit. It's good, crazy, fun. Something that builds in enthusiasm. Which is why it is so fun that includes a "play-a-long" or perhaps that should be sing-a-long movie play option.

The music. I love the music, I do. I think everyone did an amazing job at bringing all the songs to life. Of creating believable (albeit a little wacky) characters who live-and-breathe the songs. You feel--or perhaps I should make that I feel--the lyrics are so true, so authentic to each moment. Especially songs like Mamma Mia, Dancing Queen, Slipping Through My Fingers, The Winner Takes It All. Organic might be the right word. It would be *really* hard to pick a favorite but The Winner Takes It All might be an unexpected choice. It is such a vulnerable song, very compelling, the performance just amazed me really.

The characters. Loved them all. Mostly. I'd really hate to have to choose a favorite character or a favorite couple. But I do have to say that Bill is just well a bit more of a favorite than the others. I loved them all. But well, I have a special place for Bill. I just love, love, love his character. And his song with Rosie at the end, "Take A Chance On Me" just had me at hello. I mean it was a GREAT way to end the movie. The whole dancing in the courtyard "Take a Chance" just worked for me.



1 comment: