Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935)

A Midsummer Night's Dream. (1935)

Did I like this one? Yes and no. I *did* like the beginning of this one at least. It has a bit more pomp and ceremony to it. Something I hadn't quite envisioned or imagined. But at the same time, it was hard not to be overwhelmed with everything that was going on. The sets, the costumes, the overall design, the music, and the "special effects". At times I felt the story--the dialogue--got a little bit lost. What I liked least about this film is Puck. Which is just sad, sad, sad. Because Puck is one of the funnest parts of the play. His lines can often steal the show. This Puck mainly just shouts his lines, in a very over-the-top, wild and out-of-control kind of way. It was hard to understand the words he was speaking because of his delivery.

While this movie is longer than the newer one, the 1999, one I felt it had less to it. I think they spent a great deal of time dancing and prancing around in faerie garb. On the other hand, it does have Joe E. Brown as Flute/Thisbe. Which was just too much fun!!!

Part One:



Part Two:



Part Three:

2 comments:

  1. This summer I took a Shakespeare class and for a paper I compared the different movie versions of a Midsummer Night's Dream: this one, Peter Hall (1968); Elijah Moshinsky (1981); and Michael Hoffman (1999). I found it fascinating how the same play can be portrayed in such different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the older movies don't do the plays justice. At least you tried it.

    ReplyDelete