Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Midsummer Night's Dream (1999)

A Midsummer Night's Dream (1999) Stars Kevin Kline, Michelle Pfeiffer, Rupert Everett, Stanley Tucci, Calista Flockhart, and Christian Bale....among others.

I love this movie. I just love, love, love this movie. I think it's very faithful to Shakespeare. And I think it makes the play so very-very clear and relevant. And fun. I think it captures both how fun and yet how true this play can be. Yes, it's a comedy. Yes, strange and fantastical things happen. But it is a romance as well. It is dealing with very real matters of the heart. And it is both playful and serious if that makes any sense at all.

One of my favorite things about this one? The brilliance of Puck!

The trailer:

1 comment:

  1. I forgot about this one. I made my husband watch it when we first started dating and he did! I doubt he'd watch it now, but it is a beautiful movie.

    ReplyDelete