Saturday, January 23, 2010

Shop Around the Corner (1940)

Shop Around The Corner (1940)

Stars James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan, etc.

So I discovered after watching You've Got Mail, that it was connected to a few other movies. Including Shop Around the Corner (1940). I had never heard of The Shop Around the Corner. So I was curious about it. Fortunately, it was available on YouTube. And I found it very interesting. It really has quite a different feel to it. It's not as comical as In The Good Old Summertime. Not as over-the-top. Not as ridiculous. (Even though some of the ridiculousness is endearing. In small doses.) It's definitely a more serious, more substantive film. I found this black and white film to be charming and wonderful. I loved Jimmy Stewart in this role! It was just about perfect. I think I definitely prefer this one to the musical starring Judy Garland. And I prefer it to You've Got Mail too. I would definitely recommend this movie!

The trailer:



Part one:



Here's the "date" scene:



2 comments:

  1. I loved Shop Around the Corner too! I had seen You've Got Mail and when I made the connection, I just knew I had to see it. You've Got Mail makes me sad and angry at the same time. I am a true believer and supporter of independent bookstores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this movie. Of course, I'm a sucker for old movies especially those with Jimmy Stewart. I'm also one of those rare people who said The Shop Around the Corner before You've Got Mail (which I love also).

    ReplyDelete