Saturday, February 27, 2010

Emma (2009)


Emma (2009)
Starring Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller, etc.

What did I think of this "new" Emma? I loved it. I really, really loved it. But you should probably be aware of a few things: 1) I'm not the biggest fan of the novel, 2) I tend to like the movie adaptations of Emma more than the book 3) I haven't seen all the adaptations yet. I do remember seeing Emma (1996) when it was new-to-video (yes, video, back in the days). But I haven't seen it since. So it's been well over a decade. So I don't *remember* it well enough to compare to this new adaptation or to the book. I own another adaptation as well. Which according to IMDB was from 1996 as well. But I haven't watched that one even once. And of course I've seen Clueless. I wouldn't say countless times. I don't remember *having* to watch it every day, or every other day (cough, cough like Enchanted or Mamma Mia or Pirates of the Caribbean). But I did like it in high school.

What did I love best about this Emma? Mr. Knightley! Of course, he's also my favorite thing about the book too! So maybe it isn't that much of a surprise! (He did play Edmund Bertram in Mansfield Park, the movie. I liked him in that role too. And not surprisingly enough I liked that Austen adaptation better than the book too!) (That's not to say that I always love the movies better than the books. That's not the case with all of Austen's works!!! Just one or two of them!)

I thought the characters were done well. And while the story wasn't always straight from the book, where it strayed, it strayed well. In my opinion. Remember that I found the book a bit dull. So as I said I really enjoyed this one.


The trailer:



They danced and danced and fell in love....



The Proposal...

No comments:

Post a Comment