Thursday, February 18, 2010

Northanger Abbey (2007)

Northanger Abbey 2007
Starring Felicity Jones, JJ Feild, etc.

I love, love, love this movie! I think it is one of the best Austen adaptations. I think it completely captures the spirit of the book. And I think it's a lot of fun to watch.



Here's the opening to the movie:



The only other film adaptation I've seen is the 1986 one. What this newer adaptation gets right that the other so completely misses altogether is what attracts Catherine to Henry, and what attracts Henry to Catherine. The chemistry between these two. The flirting. Proper flirting, yes, even teasing, but nothing improper and un-Austen like. The conversations these two have. The way they are with each other. It's easy to believe these two are falling in love with each other.

Here's just one example:



Everything just makes sense with this one. In the older movie, readers don't know why characters are behaving as they are.

While the music was one of the weakest elements in the 1986 version. I'd argue that the music is one of the strongest elements in this new one!

Definitely recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment