Saturday, March 13, 2010

Weekly Geeks 2010-09


This week's weekly geek topic:
  • Do you seek out interviews with authors of books you've enjoyed? Why or why not?
  • Do you interview authors on your blog? If yes what did you gain from the interview process? If no is it because you don't want to or because you haven't felt able to ask an author yet?
  • Do you subscribe to the blogs of authors you like? Which ones? All the authors you like or only certain ones?
  • Do you track down author websites or look for biographical information about them elsewhere? Would you skip reading a book if you couldn't find out anything about its author?
  • Have you hosted an author on a blog tour? Was it someone whose books you already read or did it introduce you to a new author?
How do I feel about author interviews?! Well, to be honest, I don't seek them out. If I see an author interview on a blog already in my reader, then, I'll probably check it out. At least glance it over to see what it has to offer. But I don't actively seek out author interviews.

I have interviewed authors on my blog. (On Becky's Book Reviews). But I've stepped back from doing that. I won't say you'll never see another author interview. (I don't like to say never about anything). But my emphasis is more on reviews now.

I think there are two main types of interviews. I think there are times where a blogger is so genuinely excited and passionate about a book, about an author, that there's an enthusiasm carried over into the interview. And then there are interviews that seem to lack that thrill.

Author Blogs. For me to subscribe, I actually have to like the content. I need to find it interesting or entertaining. There's a definite distinction between authors who blog solely to promote their own books....and authors who blog because they like blogging, like the community, like sharing various aspects of their lives. I would DEFINITELY subscribe to the last, but would skip the promotional blogs.

As for favorite interviews...

Kathi Appelt day 1, day 2

7 comments:

  1. I would rather read the books than subscribe to an author blog!

    Here is my geeky post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, as with all blogs I have to like the content, not necessarily the person. I have visited various author blogs but very few lack a real personal touch. Most I have visited seem more of a place to buy their books than a place to visit.
    Speaking of visiting. I like your blog's layout. It is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The author blogs I've recommended in my post have great content that goes well beyond self promotion. You can read the list here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it comes to blogs I'm just the other way around. I only subscribe to get on upcoming releases etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am looking for blog content that goes well beyond self promotion. There are some interesting collaborative blogs out there where a bunch of authors are blogging together. I've listed some in my post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a definite distinction between authors who blog solely to promote their own books....and authors who blog because they like blogging, like the community, like sharing various aspects of their lives.

    So true! Now, I do want information about upcoming releases -- and hey, release day is EXCITING for an author, so that really IS about sharing their life, I think. But I like there to be other content too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, promotional blogs are kind of a bore. Personally I don't read too many author blogs either. I'm not so intrigued by author interviews either. Most of the time I find the information irrelevant to enjoying their work. For me, I put about the same amount of importance on it as I do the personal lives of entertainers and athletes (i.e. not much).

    ReplyDelete