Sunday, March 28, 2010

Weekly Geeks: 2010-11


The weekly geeks question this week:
For this Weekly Geek installment, I'm asking you to think back to the moment when you realized "I am a reader!" The moment you felt that desire to read everything! The moment you knew you were different than most of those around you and that this reading thing was for real.

- Tell us what book you were reading when that moment occurred.

- Review the book. (You can even re-read it if you'd like and actually have time.)

- If you can't pin it down to one book, what other books define this moment in your life?

- What is it about that (or those) book(s) that caused you to feel this way?

- Do you have a story that goes along with this moment? Please do share.

- And just for fun, if you are able to, post a picture of what you looked like when this important event happened!
It's hard to have a specific moment. I think I was practically born loving to read. Or at the very least loving to be read to. Is there anything better than having your mom (or dad) read to you? Associating their voices with those oh-so-magical words on the page?

I could talk about Little House in the Big Woods. Or Winnie the Pooh. Or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Or The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Or Ramona the Pest. Or Anne of Green Gables. I think I could manage a story for them all. I could talk about head cheese, the smell of chocolate, the wonder of Father Christmas, the hums of my favorite bear, the joy of finding a kindred spirit, or the fact that I think Ramona should definitely marry Henry Huggins when she grows up. Who says worm engagement rings don't last forever and ever?


But. I think I'll choose to talk about Gone With The Wind. I read it around the time I was in seventh grade. I'd seen the movie much earlier than that. Around third grade. And I fell in love with this book. I loved it. It wasn't enough to read it once or even twice. I read it over and over and over again. It was definitely a comfort read. And it remained my favorite, favorite book for a couple of years. I did eventually grow past it. But it will always be a special book to me.

I don't think the movie does it justice. Because the movie just doesn't get it. It really doesn't capture the spirit of Mitchell's novel. I would love, love, love to see this one remade at some point.

This is a book that you can read countless times and still walk away with something new. Or maybe it's just that as a reader I changed a lot through the years. Growing from twelve to thirty.

You probably don't even want to know my thoughts on the "sequel" Scarlett.

2 comments:

  1. I've never read Gone with the Wind but I do remember enjoying the movie. My mother said that this was the first movie that she ever saw in a theater and that everyone in the audience gasped when Rhett said, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." My, how times have changed.

    I also enjoyed Anne of Green Gables. I still treasure the illustrated hardback edition that my grandmother gave me. It was one of the first truly nice books I ever owned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky
    You are so cute it this picture...
    and what a special book with all that scotch tape. Wonderful.

    I was thinking to do this weekly geek. I have not done one yet, but do not have a scanner.

    I saw your little face from your Apocalyptic challenge post.

    ReplyDelete